Thursday 23 April 2015

OUGD401 - Research - The Red Wedge

Following the feedback from my primary research I started looking into less invasive ways to present my concept. I thought the Red Wedge propaganda poster was an excellent example of propaganda that is effective yet not violent like other examples of propaganda I have research as part of my essay. 

Beat the Whites with the Red Wedge dates back to 1919, it is a Soviet propaganda poster by artist Lazar Markovich Lissitzky. In the poster, the intrusive red wedge symbolises the bolsheviks, who are penetrating and defeating their opponents, the White movement, during the Russian Civil War which is a great example of Constructivism. The image became popular in the West when Lissitzky moved to Germany in 1921. It is considered symbolic of the Russian Civil War in Western publications, although it is virtually unknown in Russia.

I liked the  symbolic nature of this image as uses subliminal imagery to represent the different parties to deliver an engaging and powerful message that does not resort to the graphic nature of guns and murder. I think Lissitzky uses these simple imagery extremely well to create a powerful aesthetic that is uniquely different and is still thought of as a strong piece of innovative design to this day. 


I then created a quick initial idea to see if I could relate my concept to a similar aesthetic. In my interpretation I the circles could represent FOX news grouping all the ethnic minorities as one using tonal colours of black and brown and the triangle represents Fox as an invasive force. I like the concept of this idea but felt I could be more original as it looks unimaginative and as though  I have tried to copy the red wedge poster too much. 




No comments:

Post a Comment