Tuesday 21 April 2015

OUGD401 - Inspiration; FOX quotes

Having received feedback that I should try and make my designs more specific to me concept I decided to take go back to the start of my design process and refer back to my concept.  Stated that decide to focus on FOX news as their style of reporting is far more opinionated and in times controversial that other media outlets which will make the links I am trying to establish clearer. I also planned to specify this further to FOX news racist propaganda and alleged Islamophobia as this will draw direct connections to my essay making my resolution more informed. 

I wanted to draw specific connections to the alleged islamophobia as this would link in directly with my essay as I found the american propaganda poster I analysed was concluded to encode racist messages within the design. I found that this was also true of fox news encoding racist messages within their representation of the news. Based on facts from the council on American-Islamic relations they found The Fox News Channel is part of the outer core of the U.S. Islamophobia Network. They also referenced that The Public Religion Research Institute included the following points in a report published in September 2012:
  • “There is a strong correlation between trusting Fox News and negative views of Islam and Muslims. This pattern is evident even among conservative political and religious groups.”
  • “Among all Republicans, nearly two-thirds (63 percent) say that Islam is at odds with American values. Among Republicans who most trust Fox News, more than 7-in-10 (72 percent) believe that Islam is at odds with American values.”
  • “Among Republicans who most trust other news sources, less than half (49 percent) say Islam is at odds with American values, making their attitudes roughly similar to the general population.”
  • “A similar effect can be seen in beliefs about American Muslims and the establishment of Shari’a law. Nearly 6-in-10 (58 percent) Republicans who most trust Fox News believe that American Muslims are trying to establish Shari’a law in the U.S. Again, the attitudes of Republicans who most trust other news sources look similar to the general population (33 percent and 30 percent respectively).”
  • Council on American-Islamic Relations
Having found these facts I then cross referenced this with quotes made by fox news anchors that are clear examples of racial discrimination; FOX news islamophobic quotes . These quotes readjusted my focus to the concept and I decided I wanted to include a rare of these quotes within my resolution so people can compare these quotes to examples of propaganda I have analysed and determine for themselves if they feel FOX news shows examples of racists behaviour within their representation of the news. 

I think this revised direction could work well as my resolution as it is specific to fox news, has clear links to my essay and allows the public to draw their own conclusions without being spoon fed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment