Tuesday 7 April 2015

OUGD401 - Initial Ideas

Having defined my concept and researched that it would be feasible and relevant I decided to create some initial ideas for the interim critique. I wanted some physical sketches to go alongside my concept to more accurately articulate my idea for the practical project. I worked on a similar concept behind the World War 2 examples of propaganda I analysed in my essay. I wanted to use a similar bold aesthetic that would grab the audiences attention and accurately articulate my message. 

I started by creating a mind map of all the iconography I could include within my designs. I wanted to encode the images in my posters to be propagandist techniques to demonstrate how similar the fox news corporation is to the messages I identified as racist in my analysis of the American War propaganda. I think this worked well as my physically identity this iconography I could be sure to relate my designs back to these key messages to ensure they remain focused. 


I then started creating some quick sketches to articulate my initial design directions I could follow. I wanted use the same bold assertiveness in my designs as the examples of propaganda I analysed did to show how if placed side by side the messages of  subliminal racism are similar yet we deem one to be acceptable in society. 


This first initial idea worked on the iconography of the fox representing fox news juxtaposed against a torn islamic flag. I wanted this to represent how fox news is tearing apart their culture by attacking them instead of there values with statements such as 'every muslim is a terrorist' this is a clear example of Ad hominem as researched in my essay and is also found in examples of Propaganda I have analysed as research. 


My second concept used similar iconography with a different message. I wanted to focus on the fox and discredit it similarly to how the American propaganda I researched discredited the Japanese my picturing them with rat like features, this example of 'demonising the enemy' (another example of propaganda). I want the aesthetic of this design to be quite grungy with the crazed eyes of the fox and its wild features to represent how entrust worthy the news network is. I want to portray the fox as evil demonising islam to show how it is wrong. I think this bold image would be quite effective in engaging an audience and using similar techniques to the WW2 propaganda to make an audience believe a particular message. 


Moving away from the fox iconography representing the network, my third direction used a typically white news anchor, In development I would photoshop his features making him look more sinister, this is then juxtaposed against a background of the word 'lies' this repetition of a single idea is an example of Pensée unique that I learnt about during the research of my essay. I think this single thought will stay in peoples minds casting doubt on whether they can believe the news FOX is reporting. 


I will present these initial ideas to a group of students and tutors for feedback on my concept and initial design direction. Based on this feedback I will then develop these designs into more sophisticated digital concepts which will hopefully articulate my message in a successful and relevant outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment