Monday 20 April 2015

OUGD401 - Initial Ideas/Development

I started by sketching out a range of initial ideas incorporating my concept of the bold powerful quotes with Keith Haring style illustrations to create a range of simple sketch ideas. I thought these quick sketches had potential to started to develop digitally to create a bolder aesthetic. 

I started by drawing out a simple line drawing of silhouettes I wanted these to be abstract yet still reminiscent of Haring's work. From further research I found the symbol for apathy which I wanted to incorporate into the design as I felt it would add relevance to the quote and bring the two components together. 



I developed this by scanning the image into illustrator and vectorising it. I liked the abstract, hand rendered aesthetic as I felt it made the image personal and juxtaposed the corporate image of FOX news. I then developed this in photoshop adding bold colour and appropriate typeface to create the first developed idea. I thought the concept was good however was unsure about the hand rendered aesthetic when it was put together. I wanted to further develop another design to see if a smoother computer generated aesthetic would be more suitable. 


I created a second design that used one of the other quotes. I feel this design is very conceptual and appeals to the street culture nature of Haring's work. The image depicts the hypodermic needle theory made literal with the use of the syringe injecting the figure who then spreads the required information. This is anchored by the text 'this aint subliminal' which articulates how we shouldn't be victim of this communication theory of believing what we hear and spreading it to others.  I think the concept is strong however feel it may be too vague without an explanation. I asked a range of students and without a prior explanation they all felt it was too vague and wouldn't understand it if they saw it in the street.  One positive of this design is that I much prefer the cleaner aesthetic, I feel as though it is more effective and would be more legible and easier to understand if seen at a distance. 


No comments:

Post a Comment