Friday 16 December 2016

OUGD601 - Practical / Identity - Colour Development

Identifying a colour palette for the logo was a difficult process that required extensive development. My initial experimentation used 3 primary colours yellow, red and blue however paired with the primary shapes felt as though it was appealing to a childrens market. Due to the campaign being entered around the results of Brexit I trailed a red, white, and blue colour scheme to reference the union jack which worked effectively however was unsure if there is a need to focus this heavily on a British colour palette. Identifying a need to be reproducible in black and white, I explored variations of this logo that could be presented as an alternative when applicable. These included a simple outline, alternate letters, a patterned variant that I concluded each needed further development. 


With this difficulty to land on a definitive colour scheme, I created a primary research exercise to utilise the help of a millennial audience. I bought a selection of 2mm neoprene foam in an assortment of colours and used the laser cutter to cut out the letterforms from each of these which I then asked the a selection of students to create the logo in using whichever colours they wanted. Within this exercise I hoped to find a range of commonalities that could be interpreted into a final colour palette. 

The result of this primary research activity yielded no distinct patterns within the target audience choice therefore did not help me identify a final colour palette. With a tutorial scheduled later this week I will ask tutors for advice as to how I could overcome this problem in creating a vibrant identity for the brand. 


No comments:

Post a Comment