Friday 16 December 2016

OUGD601 - Practical / Identity - Studio type testing

I was advised by tutors to begin testing and experimenting with different practical outlets as a means to get creative with the research within my essay. Having just researched Aakers brand personality model (below) I became interested in the different personalities brands can embody and felt this would be helpful when developing the logo for the brand. 

Extending this research into a practical context I chose to focus on a typographic element. Taking a morning out of my studio time I got a range of magazines from the students unions and cut out examples of type before asking a range of students to annotate this sheet with the connotations the different letterforms gave them. This was useful to get a number of students demonstrating how different styles of typography connote extremely different thoughts. With these responses I then created a grid applying them to one of Aakers 5 brand personality archetypes by the descriptions that best resembled each typeface. This was interesting as to how particular typefaces can be used to connote different personalities for example serifs generally connote competence or sophistication whereas ruggedness is translated into heavier weighted sans-serifs. This grid can be applied to my resolution using this research as part of my logo generation process to reinforce particular constructed connotations within the brand image, this creates synthesis with my dissertation essay in practically exploring how brand connotations can be manipulated in order to evoke a stronger consumer-brand relationship. 


No comments:

Post a Comment