Wednesday 3 December 2014

OUGD401 - Tutorial

I had a scheduled tutorial with Richard Miles, head of contextual studies, In which we discussed my progress with the module so far and looked at potential topics for my project. We talked about a number of concepts but both agreed the strongest would be to perform a critical analysis of american and Japanese propaganda during World War II. We arrived at this conclusion based on positive feedback from the image analysis task, performed earlier in the year and tailed it to fit the theme I had chosen for my project. 

I have chosen social Political as my topic with a theme of “Discuss the role that Graphic Design has played in Political and/or social change in a specific period in history." We agreed that my specific research focus answered this question as I can discuss the use of propaganda (a form of graphic design) that has played a significant political role within the World War II (a specific period in history)

We then discussed how I can move forward from this point and how this essay would ultimately influence my accompanying physical body of graphic design, this brought me back to my one of my initial concepts looking at Russell Brands views and I could develop my physical body of work to show how capitalist news corporations such as Fox news portrays an anti-islamic narrative, a view to which Russell Brand actively tires to expose through his youtube channel. This would work well as my existing knowledge of American propaganda is there was racist techniques used toward the Japanese something to which I could explore further and ultimately develop into a 21st century relevant body of graphic design looking at Fox news and similar corporations to see if they use any similar techniques to American propaganda. 

I was given some useful sources of information to start my research including researching the actual techniques of propaganda which I found extremely useful to be able to define the techniques used. This tutorial helped me immensely to focus my research and motivate me to start my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment