Wednesday 3 December 2014

OUGD401 - Essay Structure/Plan

I took part in a session in which we were given useful advice on how to structure my essay, This helped me with understanding a well device strategy however I feel I am fairly confident at essay writing with an A-level background of studying English Language, I will use these skills to hopefully personalise my essay and tailor it directly to my topic. 

During the second part of the session I was tasked to plan a sample essay structure and plan, It did not require vast details as we were still fairly new to researching our chosen concepts but should include a brief idea of how I was planning to structure my essay. 

Introduction; State the question,  specify a specific research focus, time period, identify why the question is important and state my hypothesis. Within this I plan to set a specific time period, talk about World War II in a fairly general context before narrowing it down to graphic design, specifically the use of propaganda. 

Defining propaganda; Define propaganda as a relevant part of graphic design and state how it was a key form of visual communication during WWII, (potential for Harvard reference quote). Also identify key propaganda techniques and how they have been used. 

Analyse American propaganda; Analyse a range of American propaganda in isolation, look at the key features such as layout composition and subliminal messages. Discuss how it affected American troops, Moral , the country as a whole. Look at racism, power and other potential issues with the use of propaganda. 

Analyse Japanese propaganda in a similar fashion identifying key features however link the evidence back to American Propaganda, E.g; "Similarly to the examples of American Propaganda, Japanese ...." 

Evaluate and Conclude; Show how my research has answered the question, state what has been discovered, avoid personal opinions and use third person to evaluate (and throughout)

No comments:

Post a Comment