Tuesday 9 December 2014

OUGD401 - Sign Up Tutorial [2]

I signed up for a tutorial with Richard Miles, head of contextual studies, in order to asses my progress so far and discuss what I need to do in order to progress with my essay. I explained to him my concept and showed him my initial annotations before discussing elements I could include and emphasise. He liked the concept and felt it would make a good essay,  He reinforced that I should define propaganda and the techniques used which I could then later directly apply to my analysis in order to apply a host of contextual theories. He agreed with the points I made in my initial analysis and agreed that I should keep to two images as this would create a detailed and though analysis. 

He then asked how I would make this contemporary in terms of the accompanying physical body of graphic design. I explained my a vague concept that I have of using the obvious racism present in the American propaganda and updating this creating contemporary propaganda highlighting the anti-islamic narrative that is conveyed to the public by corporate news such as 'Fox'. He thought this was an interesting concept that could work well, I explained I would look at keeping a similar style of image using blood imagery and block colours, looking into the use of screen printing as this would give a more authentic finish. 

I feel this tutorial helped to motivate me to start producing my essay as I now have a good basis to start from. I felt Richard was positive towards my concept which is encouraging as I feel this will result in a good quality outcome both of my essay and physical body of graphic design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment