Tuesday 9 December 2014

OUGD401 - Propaganda Analysis

Having chosen a range of sources from the library I then started to look for interesting examples of propaganda that I could use to analyse within my essay. I found Propaganda, The art of persuasion: World War II by Anthony Rhodes the most appropriate source. As the main focus of my essay is the use of American and Japanese propaganda I decided to choose 1 form of each. I chose to only use one source of each to ensure my analysis is detailed and though, Due to the word count being 3000 words I felt multiple examples of propaganda would lead to a vague and generic analysis. 

As well as looking through a range of physical books I also looked online for the most effective uses of propaganda within World War II, I then looked across both formats to see if any images were common within both. I found that the 'Rise of Asia' poster was used within a range of online sources and books I chose this image as it contains key iconography that will form interesting findings when analysed. For the American propaganda I found a range of posters but felt the most interesting was the 'This is the enemy' poster I felt from initial observations there were a range of interesting similarities and differences between the two which could make for a good conclusion and evaluation of how graphic design was used within this time period. 

I printed the images side by side and made some quick initial analysis points in preparation for my tutorial, I would then discuss these points in further detail with a tutor in order to gain feedback as to whether they think my research is reading in the right direction in order to create a good quality essay. 


No comments:

Post a Comment