Friday 7 October 2016

OUGD601 - First thoughts

With a basic understanding of a range of ideas I could investigate within my research project, I needed to refine my focus to create a more specific research topic that would create a revised and concise focus for my dissertation. My primary research focus is: what is the relationship between a brands image and it's relationship with it's core consumer. This topic engages the critical questioning of consumerism and how aesthetic affects consumer perceptions/ influence. The secondary focus of my research project is to explore the cycle of exploitation within consumerism. How do brands exploit consumers creating false ideologies and a need for products or services, equally how consumers exploit brands for their own personal gain to create false images of success, wealth and status. 

Following this I wrote down my first thoughts relating to these topics again as a means of physically articulating my thoughts onto paper, this would later help to organise my ideas and begin to identify how to engage with the topic and begin research and reading. 



From these first thoughts I was tasked to create a starting point for my working title, based on these first thoughts I identified a title of 'To what extent does brand image inform a consumer brand relationship' as I felt this question summarises my thought processes and enquiries to date, this will inertly question the function of logos and branding within consumerism and question to what effect this has on consumers and their relationship with brands both physically and psychologically. 

Identifying why this question is important helps to solidify the purpose of the research and ensure the question is focused and approbate to my practice and also a dissertation. I believe this question is important because it identifies the impact brand image has on consumerism and how this can be manipulated to create a relationship with the consumer, directly influencing my branding as a developing identity designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment