Wednesday 25 March 2015

OUGD401 - Practical Project Concept

I stated in my essay that if it can be determined that propaganda has been used throughout history to deceive the people and deliberately put forth the corrupt ideologies of a small cohort, to work in that cohorts favour, these deceiving components can be isolated and prevented to ensure a more democratic society. This led me to form the hypothesis that if the state uses propaganda to enforce its own ideologies then they will deceive the people because they present biased and subjective representations of the subject matter.    

From my essay  I can determine that there are substantial propagandist techniques evident within both examples of propaganda I analysed. There are subliminal examples of racism, fascism and militarism that are all encoded within the iconography presented to the people by the state. As a result of this, it can be determined that the state has used biased and subjective representations of their enemies in order to evoke a conditioned response from the people. 

Having identified these propagandist techniques and applied them to real life historical examples I planned to see if similar techniques that I have clearly identified as racist propaganda are still visible within todays contemporary society. I feel in modern day society news corporations have more influence than the state in influencing the people  due to increased political correctness. This is why I want to identify if any contemporary news corporations can be seen to use the propagandist techniques I have identified to present subjective representations of the subject matter in order to deceive the people.  It is my belief that looking back to the examples of world war 2 propaganda we can label it as racist whereas similar propagandist techniques are being used in contemporary news that goes relatively un-noticed. 

The aim for my practical work is to demonstrate to the people how we are being deceived by modern day news corporations yet are blind to it, as we can see the propagandist and  racial injustice of examples throughout history (WW2) and cannot link the connections between the two. I plan to create a range of posters highlighting this to show how similar the two are in the hope of making the people aware of how these propagandist features are still relevant in contemporary society. The target audience of my practical project will be the general public however will target this more specifically at a younger generation who will want to understand and hopefully inspire change. I feel an older generation have grown up listening to these messages and have learnt to accept them whereas a younger demographic could respond different questioning why this is appropriate, where the same techniques used in WW2 are openly labeled as racist. 


No comments:

Post a Comment